Wednesday, February 01, 2006

a carpenter and a president

For months I've had a special project on the to-do list. Cari loves to look through magazines and books to get ideas for rooms in our house. Sometimes they are very simple, cost effective, and easy to do...and other times they get pretty involved. Well, I finally tackled our built-in bookshelves in the Sam's playroom.

I built them from MDF and Pine, and they included 2 full height bookcases framing in an existing window, as well as a shorter "bench" shelf under the window for reading and playing. I was so exhausted after the full day of work, and it was a joy to work with my hands and put the carpenter hat on for a brief time. Somehow it has taken longer to paint the built-ins than it did to build them, which was a surprise and frustration for both of us...we can't wait to see everything in them and the room transformed into a better space.

I started this entry this morning, and had to quickly take a break because I received a last minute invite to go hear President Bush speak at the Opry House. A friend of mine could not go and was looking for someone to use the ticket...and I happily said yes. Over the past several years I have been privileged to see and even meet people in different areas of the political world in D.C. Though it is easy to become cynical of this and that in politics, I always take the President's role seriously. I firmly believe no one can sit in the chair of the Oval Office day after day without feeling the weight of their decisions and work. Whether you stand behind or against the politics and decisions, the position and the person in the chair demand respect.

I am thankful for the way faith is interwoven into this country by our forefathers (and continuing into today). Though America is by no means a Christian country, I know that it is one of the few where Christian principles are freely played out and the world is able to see the fruit of Gospel-centered living. Faith doesn't guarantee prosperity; Faith doesn't even guarantee safety or freedom; But faith is a backbone and foundation that is firm and sustaining to whatever it supports.

I pray for our President, and for those around him. It cannot be easy. It must be exhausting. It is very messy, because it deals with all the rights and wrongs of our nation and of the world. Even his closest confidants cannot understand the pressure and weight of the role...and yet I trust that God is bigger than our president, than our government, than our best laid plans. I will not settle for optimism, left to human hands...I stand on the promises of hope, grace, mercy, faithfulness, faith, and love of the Gospel of Christ.

1 Comments:

At 1:37 PM, Blogger Mark Kelly Hall said...

Well said. You've got my vote!

Mark

 

Post a Comment

<< Home