Tuesday, December 06, 2005

children in an upside down world

I love the writings of G.K. Chesterton. The second-most quoted person in the English language other than Shakespeare, he had the ability to speak and write eloquently and pointedly. He was not afraid to hit the debate table, even with the toughest challengers of his day (arguably with the greatest thinkers of the past 2-300 years). I often ponder why I enjoy his perspective of the world--and his ability to bring it to life through words. Each time I come to the same conclusion. He saw the upside-down nature of the world, the presence of paradox, and instead of running from it or pretending it wasn't there, he brought it to life and peace. True faith in Christ leaves me sitting in a place that isn't always comfortable and demands more than I can understand or do. And the greatest gift is that I am not alone, for God has provided His Spirit and His Word...and I should have the greatest confidence in these things, particularly His promises.

A child has the ability to sit in paradox and mystery a little longer than an adult. It seems the older you get, the more you think you've figured it out--yet the more you pursue to further understand. Ahhh, the irony. When Christ validates the presence--better yet the importance--of children, He says this: "Whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it." Children are able to trust without knowing, love without understanding, and believe without seeing more than me. Chesterton helps me sit in these words a little deeper. When I read his essays, stories, letters, and poetry, I feel like I'm looking at the world through the eyes of a child. And I begin to trust without knowing, love without understanding, and believe without seeing just a little bit more.

1 Comments:

At 7:14 PM, Blogger Jonathan Potter said...

Nicely put. Can you imagine how much fun Chesterton would have had with the blog environment?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home