Monday, November 21, 2005

preparation

We have the joy of hosting some family this weekend for Thanksgiving, complete with celebrating Christmas as well. Unfortunately it is just not as easy as it used to be going from house to house during a long trip home around Christmas and New Years Eve...ahh the days of old--and being younger (read my last post). We have so much to be thankful for, and not just the stuff on the surface that looks nice and happy. More on that in a couple of days...

I've been making my way through Resident Aliens, published about 15 years ago. I've heard much about this book, and read other articles/essays by Hauerwas and Willimon over the years. I'm not sure why I picked it up now, other than I saw it on a friend's shelf (as if I don't have enough waiting to be read on my own) and figured "Why not?". So far I have been pretty impressed by the focus on the importance of the church in our world. It is so easy to keep a gaze on self/family, or to put all weight into politics, work, or organizations in the community. But we have to remember that the church--as it was intended to be--lives out the only hope that gives sustainability and longevity in this world. History reveals this, though the church has by no means been innocent and perfect in that time. In fact, the reality that the church has had its ugly moments yet endured and has become even stronger is revelation of something unique to it...not to glorify actions or excuse them, but to recognize the faithfulness of a loving Creator, the love of a Bridegroom for His bride.
I've been busy working on spreadsheets and numbers, helping put into place a fund development plan to go hand in hand with our budget for 2006. It has been an incredible year for Blood:Water Mission, with miracles abounding in the midst of fragile human hands giving whatever they can. We desire to be good stewards of this, and recognize that it is impossible left to ourselves. Please continue to pray for transformation in my heart, your heart, throughout the US, and especially in Africa...the HIV/AIDS crisis is numbing and too big, yet God's grace and mercy are so evident in its midst. And give thanks, for God is constantly moving deeply for His glory in these things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home