Friday, January 06, 2006

still playing

We're finishing up the first week recording the next Jars project. What a week! We're blessed to be in a studio atmosphere that allows everything to be ready to play when needed. It is freeing and makes it easy to let the creative juices flow. Still no comment on the sound...it is all over the map, but honing in. We're about halfway through the songs, and having so much fun.

I just finished reading A Continent for the Taking: The Tragedy and Hope of Africa by Howard French. He's a New York Times journalist who offers reflections and testimony from his years spent reporting from West Africa, particularly Nigeria, Zaire, DR Congo, and Mali. I recommend it to anyone wanting to get a sense of some of the faces and situations, as well as the distant and recent history that is a part of the Africa we know today. My only criticism is that the book ends without a hopeful picture as he leaves his assignment in Africa...you almost have to read the introduction/prologue again in order to remind yourself of the hopeful intentions of French. A conclusion or some sort of epilogue would better propel the reader into action instead of paralysis.

2 Comments:

At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Aaron!

My name's Nathan. I've interacted with you several times - mostly over the Blood Water Mission, where I coordinated a symposium at LeTourneau University in 2003. Then, some time ago, I began speerheading some B:W/M stuff at LETU, which will (finally) unfold this semester.

All that to say, "Hey!"

Your bloggings have been very encouraging throughout the year. I stumbled across your site one afternoon some time ago and have been delighted to hear what God is doing in your life.

I pray that the Lord would continue to unite your heart to the fear of his name, as the Psalms say.

peace,
nathandidlake

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Mark Kelly Hall said...

Aaron,

Looked you up when I got the notice about the benefit to send Ashley Lovell to Africa (good thing she actually wants to go, otherwise it would be kinda cruel, huh?). I hope to make it to that. I've been on the last couple of mission trips to Cape Town with Brentwood BC; an amazing experience. You might have seen our blog? If not: www.bbcsouthafrica.blogspot.com

For your next reading assignment, I recommend James Michener's "The Covenant." It is fiction but based on historical fact and in-depth research. I feel like I know South Africa much better now, especially the Afrikaners.

Grace & Peace,
Mark

 

Post a Comment

<< Home