Wednesday, April 20, 2005

watching it grow

If anyone is reading this and keeping up, we put in the garden Saturday and are watching it grow...ok, not literally every moment, but we are now left to see what happens. We went up to the friendly and very helpful Bates Nursery north of town that morning and got the scoop on our "need" list. This included a scoop of mushroom compost (thanks for the use of the truck, Blake), some soil conditioner, wheat straw and some fertilizer. The compost filled the bed of the truck completely, so we were glad to have had the wagon as well. Did I mention that the compost was steaming and had a delightful odor that still carries on?

I borrowed our neighbor's tiller, tilling before spreading the compost, conditioner, and fertilizer around the garden, and then afterwards to mix it all together. Sam cooperated pretty well, and by planting time Cari took over in the garden and I played with Sam in the yard. We set up our tent and had fun playing inside and out...enjoying the shade when possible. During his nap, I took the truck to the car wash to clean it well before returning it to Blake. I must say that I felt bad distributing the remains of compost everywhere in the car wash bay--high pressure water did the trick but also made a mess. I cleaned it up as much as possible, but pictured someone pulling in with their nice ride and quickly discovering an awful odor and remains on the ground. Oh well, we do what we can!

I'm spending a lot of time catching up on Blood:Water work this week. We've received many, many emails with a wide spectrum of questions, and it is my goal to catch up on these by the end of the week and especially by the end of the month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home