Monday, January 17, 2005

camping and mlk, jr day

Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. day to all. The more I learn about him, the more I realize the differences in America only 40 years ago. He certainly left a legacy beyond himself...changing the way people saw the world and each other during his lifetime as well as for years to come.

My camping trip with more than 10 of my good friends--including the one getting married this coming weekend--was frigid but so much fun. This has been an annual tradition for some of us, and it was all the better with more people. We drove down to Savage Gulf, hiking about 1 1/2 miles in to a campsite near Savage Falls. We fixed a feast for dinner, with beef stew the main course...subsidized by hot dogs, baked beans, foil dinners, and whatever else people threw in their packs. There's nothing like s'mores over a campfire, and man, were they delicious! We placed the graham crackers near the fire with chocolate on top so that they were warm and the chocolate a little soft, then squished the gooey marshmallow between the crackers.

I had the typical night of sleep for camping--waking every hour or two to rotate in my mummy bag, and drifting in and out of sleep from about 5am until rising around 6:30. For breakfast we fixed the cholesterol special: bacon, sausage, eggs, and so forth, all using the same grease and running together. It was fantastic and filling. The falls were a short hike away and a great place to wash dishes, so all of us wandered down there before cleaning up the camp site and hiking back to the cars. If you click on the link above (Savage Gulf) you may find a picture or two from the park website.

Yesterday Cari and I celebrated our 6th wedding anniversary...my how time flies! Our celebration will spread over a few weeks as we try to make it to a movie and a dinner out as well as possibly finding a cabin to host a weekend getaway. It will be Cari's first overnight away from Sam, if you can believe it. I can't wait for that to happen.

I'll be in the studio working on a project for a songwriter with Universal South Records the next few days. Joining me will be Andy Osenga and Will Sayles (who also played on the Indelible Grace sessions) and Ben Shive. I'll try to give some updates in the midst of making music.

1 Comments:

At 8:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,I am Aaron Sands also..How cool is that...I have always known of your work with"Jars of Clay" and hope that you have a blessed life.You sound so cool like we would be friends ..well that is to say if I wasnt in IL and you in TN..I am a conductor and a tower operator on the Kansas City Southern Railroad..My fater and I love to play music ..well he plays and I sing..hope to see you out there some more..Aaron whatdfork@aol.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home