Friday, August 11, 2006

why i like chesterton (pt 1)

You may be familiar with the writings of G.K. Chesterton. He is one of the most quoted writers, speakers, artists in history after all. You may know that he is one of my favorite authors. His brilliance, his simplicity, his ability to speak for common people with common problems and common joys...for these and so much more I am grateful. He is able to bring true joy and real smiles to the face as he speaks of the most difficult and complex things to do describe with words.

I am reading an autobiography on him, entitled Wisdom and Innocence: A Life of G.K. Chesterton by Joseph Pierce...it would be a shame to keep it to myself, so pardon me while I open the curtain on some of his words, thoughts, and brilliance.

on religious liberty and tolerance

"The first thing to note, as typical of the modern tone, is a certain effect of toleration which actually results in timidity. Religious liberty might be supposed to mean that everybody is free to discuss religion. In practice it means that hardly anybody is allowed to mention it."
---(Autobiography, G.K. Chesterton, 238)

Written in 1937, these words still hold as much weight today, if not more.

1 Comments:

At 2:10 PM, Blogger go to www.chadjarnagin.com said...

Nice. I dig the writing.

Chesteron= Amazing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home